Monday, June 2, 2008

Key Lime Pound Cake

Elijah has been begging to make a lime cake ever since I picked up some limes at the store. We looked on Allrecipes.com and found this recipe. The cake turned out SO yummy! It is dense and moist and melts in your mouth. It wasn't until after I raved about it that Josh told me it had a TON of butter and shortening. Thus making this a rare occasion cake, but a very yummy one!

1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup key lime juice

Preheat oven to 325, grease and flour bundt cake pan.

In a large bowl, beat 1 cup of butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, blending each one thoroughly. Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the batter alternating with the milk, vanilla, and lime juice. Pour into prepared pan and smoothe the top.

Bake until a knife inserted into the crown comes out clean. Original recipe says 90 mins. We cooked ours for a little over 60 mins. I would check it after an hour, depending on your oven.

Poke holes in the warm cake and top with a glaze made with 3 Tbs key lime juice, about 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar and a little water (I just mix it until I get a consistency I like. I would not use more lime juice but adjust sugar and water amounts)

No comments: