Monday, December 8, 2008

Strawberry Cream Puffs

This recipe comes from the Taste of Home Cookbook. My mother made them and was raving about them so I had to try them myself. I made them last night but used raspberries instead of strawberries and halved the cream mixture. I still had enough cream to fill my puffs and they were super yummy. I am including the recipe without my changes.

Puffs:
1 cup water
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1 Tbs sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup all purpos flour
4 eggs

In a small saucepan bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once. Stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.

Drop by 2 rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. (I ended up with 16 puffs that I crammed onto one cookie sheet, the recipe says 3" apart, but I wanted to only cook one pan) Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes (mine were more like 25 min) or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immedietly split puffs open, remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.

Strawberry Cream:
2 pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
4 cups whipped topping
3 cups coursly chopped strawberries

Beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Fold in whipped topping and strawberries.

Fill puffs with heaping tablespoonfuls of cream, replace tops, dust with confectioners sugar. Serve immedietly. Refrigerate leftovers.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I made these again the other day with fresh blueberries and fresh blackberries. I didn't half the filling this time. I put a generous amount in each puff and used the extra the next morning on pancakes with more fruit. Very YUMMY!