Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Beefy Crock Pot Chili

This is Josh's "recipe" for the chili he took to our ward's annual chili cook off. It was my favorite one though I might be a little bit partial.

2 lbs chuck roast
2 cans pinto beans (drained, washed)
2 cans kidney beans (drained, washed)
2 cans black beans (drained, washed)
2 cans corn (drained, washed)
2 cans chopped tomatoes (not drained)

1 pint package of small sweet peppers, or 2-3 bell peppers (of different colors), chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup water
2-4 jalapenos and/or 1-2 habaneros, to taste
2 Tbs jarred minced garlic*
3 Tbs chili powder*
1 Tbs salt*
2 tsp oregano*
Any other spice you think sounds good (black pepper, red pepper flakes, shriracha chili sauce, paprika, etc.)*

* These measurements are my best estimate of what I do and are by no means exact. I will usually taste it a few times as it’s cooking and throw in some more of whatever I think it still needs.


Put the roast in the crock pot. Throw everything else in on top of it and simmer for 5-8 hours. Yes, I just put the roast in raw. After about 4-5 hours, fish the roast out again, it should be tender. Shred the roast and put it back in the chili. Let it simmer for a couple more hours, or until dinner time.

No comments: