Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tortellini Soup

Another one of our favorite pantry meals. You can jazz it up as much or as little as you want. It is also very good second day. The parmesan cheese makes it extra yummy, so don't skimp on that.

1 med onion, chopped
1 Tbs oil
4 cups chicken broth (I use 4 cups water and boullion)
2 cans diced tomatoes or chopped stewed tomatoes
1 Tbs Italian seasoning (I eyeball this so I'm not sure how much exactly)
*1 pkg of dried tortellini
fresh mushrooms (you can use jarred or canned)
shredded parmesan cheese

Brown the onion in the butter until soft (if I have celery I like to cook it with the onion). Add chicken broth, tomatoes and italian seasoning. Bring to boil. Add tortellini and sliced mushrooms. Cook for time directed on tortellini package. Serve sprinkled with cheese.

(This recipe is easily adjusted to feed more. Just make sure you have enough chicken broth to cover and cook the tortellini.)

*You can buy tortellini dried, frozen, or refrigerated. I either buy a large bag of the frozen and make multiple meals out of it or buy the small bags of dried tortellini ($1.50 at Walmart) and keep them in my pantry. One small bag feeds my family (2 adults and 2 toddlers) dinner with some leftovers.

1 comment:

angie said...

Sarah made this for me when I had Colin. I LOVE it! I make it at the beginning of the week and eat it for lunch all week long. YUMMMMY!